Thursday, December 2, 2010

Flickr


Today I learnt about Flickr and its uses in the library. I had heard of Flickr as one of my sons is a keen amateur photographer. But when starting this course I did wonder how this site could be used by libraries.  I found the video by Paul Hagan very interesting.  I hadn't thought about using this site in this way. How it can open up information to the rest of the world. Whilst doing this section of the course I had an enquiry, "Where can I get a detailed map of Latvia in 1830?". We don't have anything like that, but after listening to Paul's video I wondered if other libraries around the world also used this kind of technology to distribute their information. So I did a search of Flickr. I did find a map of Latvia but nothing in this era. I wonder if this kind of technology could be used by places like DOLA to make available there historical maps and records to the wider public. I'm sure it could.

The photo I have chosen to include is one of my sons from his flickr page. It is of one of my cats. You can view more of my sons photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79894728@N00/
if you are interested.

5 comments:

  1. gee, I am glad no one has asked me a question like that! Nice shot of your cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your son takes a great photo, what a nice cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to hearing more from you discoveries of your web 2.0 journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flickr earns a place in my heart for all the cute cat pictures it can offer me!

    ReplyDelete