Thursday, December 9, 2010

I have found a way to get my daily Jamie fix. Thankyou RSS Aggregators!!

Today I have been learning about RSS Aggregators. Well this opens a can of worms!! How much time could I waste subscribing to all the things I would like to be kept updated on, then how much time could I waste reading about all the things I would like to be kept updated on. On the other hand used in a library environment I can see a use for it. For example it could be useful to keep patrons updated on new books to the library or the library news letter could be subscribed to for up coming events. Librarians can subscribe  to all the latest titles information. Here are a couple of pages I have subscribed to, the first is:

Jamies Daily recipes: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32402/f/467087/index.rss

That one kills two birds with one stone. My love of Jamie Oliver, I just love his food and now my work mates will never have to hear my cry of, "Help! Tell me what your having for dinner tonight so I can cook the same thing." Yes, this does happen on a regular basis.

The rest are not so exciting as the first but are also useful:

http://www.booksonline.com/ for all the latest titles

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/breaking-news  latest headlines

http://ezybuy.vstore.ca/  for those shopping fixs and for all those gaming needs

http://au.pc.ign.com/   well I have to cheat sometimes.

As well as my library blogs that I am following.  These should keep me pretty entertained over the following weeks, and it goes without saying well feed. Thank you Jamie!!!

7 comments:

  1. Do you think all library staff are obsessed by food? I put on nearly 10kg during my first year at a library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked you first blog post, quite interesting to read for a young "Baby Boomer". The only thing I use my very old mobile phone for is an alarm clock, works great its got a snooze button too.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops sorry I mean't to say. I used to work as wood machinist, a pretty physical job, a year later working in the Library I had put on 8 kilo's. It must be the job.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that with RSS feeds, most of us are in the same situation, it is really time consuming, I have waisted my own home internet usage just trying to figure out this course, but some of it can be quite intersting, it is just taking me also a long time to read and get into my head, It would make it a little easier if some there was less reading and more hands on. But I can see that RSS feeds will be useful. Once it is set up then it automatically updates by its self.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will definitely check out Jamie's daily. There are definitely a lot of references to cooking & cats in these blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the heads up about Jamie's daily. I too fear an overload of information with RSS feeds. So much I want to know, so little time!

    ReplyDelete